The Romans knew Chelmsford as Caesaromagus (Caesar’s market place), but the settlement did not survive the collapse of the Roman Empire. A ‘new’ town developed from c1100, when Bishop Maurice built new bridges here. By the mid 16th century, there were about 1,000 people living in Chelmsford, one of whom was Thomas Mildmay. His son, also named Thomas, entered government service and, in 1557, became Sheriff of Essex. He also bought the manors of Moulsham and Bishop’s Hall (today’s Chelmsford) which were held by the Mildmay family until the 19th century.