The White Swan was an old coaching inn at the corner of Station Road which became a private residence known as Silhill House in the 1820s. ‘Silhill’ was once a popular variation of ‘Solihull’. Demolished around 1926, Silhill House stood close to this pub. Solihull’s transformation, from a sleepy market town to a metropolitan borough, dates from the opening of the railway in 1852. The redevelopment of the town centre, in the 1960s, claimed several historic buildings, including Touchwood Hall, although its name lives on in the shopping centre.