In 1939, this building was given Art Deco styling of the day, Woolworths having occupied it since 1922. In 1818, John Wood drew a ‘Plan of Dumbarton’, on which this site has a row of six properties, four marked ‘J Lang’. In the 19th century, the name Lang was associated with ship-building, which made Dumbarton famous. The paddle steamer Leven (built 1824) was commanded by a Captain James Lang, born and educated in Dumbarton. Captain Lang’s gravestone is one of the few remaining in the much diminished Dumbarton Cemetery.