A Swanne Inne was recorded here in 1586. By the second half of the 18th century, it had become a private house, but later reverted to trading as an inn called The Star. In the 1970s and 1980s, it had several name changes, but the pub now bears its original name. A later indenture, c1650, uses the modern spelling of The Swan Inn. This spelling was generally used until the second half of the 18th century, when documents named the premises as Swan House. It was then was a ‘private dwelling house’ until 1830.