This distinctive building has been a local landmark for many years. It stands on what was marshland, alongside the River Dee, which covered much of the area of the present town. The Central Hotel was built in c1920, next to the railway station and the bridge over the main road. In 1922, a ‘Mr Derbyshire’ was recorded as its landlord. In the mid 1980s, the hotel was renamed The Royal Charter, yet later reverted to its original name.