This ornate building was designed as the town’s general post office by WW Robertson and the Office of Works. Built at a cost of £20,000, it first opened its doors in 1899. The premises are now named after James Watt, the inventor and mechanical engineer born in Greenock in 1736. His improvements to the steam engine powered the Industrial Revolution which changed the world. Watt also introduced the word horsepower – to indicate an engine’s power.