Morriston was originally ‘a planned industrial village’. It was the idea of the industrialist Robert Morris. During 1768–74, he built his workers flats, known as Morris Castle or Castell Craig. In 1869, The Red Lion was trading on Clydach Road, later renamed Sway Road. It must have been frequented by the brick-makers from the Morriston Silica Brick Company works which stood opposite the public house, on the site of the fire station.