It was the Normans who gave Pontefract its name, derived from the Latin ‘pontus fractus’, meaning broken bridge. The bridge is thought to have been on the outskirts of today’s town, at Ferrybridge. This building has housed various supermarkets since it was built in the 1960s. It stands on the site of one of Pontefract’s oldest houses, recorded on the 1742 map of the town. For many years, from c1900, it was home to Gardiner’s window-cleaning business.