Built in the early 18th century, this Wetherspoon pub was one of Sleaford’s old coaching inns, originally known as The Packhorse Inn. The inn was used mainly by traffic heading north, along the main east-coast road, to Lincoln and Hull. It appears on the map of Sleaford, drawn around 1770, as The Packhouse Inn. It was also known as The White Lion, in its early days, but was recorded in a commercial directory of 1830 as The Lion Hotel and Posting House. It remained The Lion Hotel until its recent closure.