The Union Rooms recalls the origin of this Wetherspoon pub as the West Riding Union Bank, built in 1876. From the late 1800s until the 1960s, Hick Lane was the hub of Batley’s commercial and financial quarter. West Riding Union Bank was taken over by Lancashire & Yorkshire Bank, in 1902, which in turn was absorbed by Martins Bank, in 1928. At the time of the conveyance to Martins, the building was described as bank premises, club rooms, a dwelling house and stables. Barclays took over Martins in 1969.