The Bourtrees, or Elder Trees, which once grew here are recalled by the name of this pub and the street it is in. The building is the former Conservative Club. The foundation stone was laid on 16 October 1897, by Margaret, Countess of Dalkeith, using a silver trowel. Her husband, the Earl of Dalkeith, also attended the ceremony. The half-acre site had been purchased from his father, the Duke of Buccleuch.