This is an unmissable local landmark, still known to many locals as ‘The Regent’ from its days as the town’s leading cinema. The Regent Cinema opened on 6 October 1930. The auditorium was decorated in a ‘modern French’ style, with seating for 650 in the stalls and 500 in the circle. Renamed the Essoldo, in 1961, it was converted into a bingo hall four years later. Part of the old building reopened as The Regent in 1988 and as the Cineplex in 2004.
Find out More >