Kingsway, Diamond Avenue, Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, NG17 7BQ
This is an unmissable local landmark, still known to many locals as ‘The Regent’ from its days as the town’s leading cinema. The Regent Cinema opened on 6 October 1930. The auditorium was decorated in a ‘modern French’ style, with seating for 650 in the stalls and 500 in the circle. Renamed the Essoldo, in 1961, it was converted into a bingo hall four years later. Part of the old building reopened as The Regent in 1988 and as the Cineplex in 2004.
A plaque documenting the history of The Regent.
The plaque reads: This Wetherspoon freehouse is the former Regent cinema, which opened on 6 October 1930 and was converted into a bingo hall in the mid-1960s. the modern French style auditorium, seated 650 in the stalls and 500 in the circle. The Regent was designed by Alfred J Graves, who designed several other eye-catching cinemas in the area. The entrance to the former Regent stands on the site of the once well-known Wightman’s butcher shop.
These premises were refurbished by J D Wetherspoon in January 2013.
An original seat plan for the Regent cinema.
This photo shows the balcony known as the circle, that could seat up to 500 people during its days as the town’s leading cinema.
A copy of the contract that allowed the Regent to screen The Dam Busters.
A photograph of the staff of the Regent cinema, 1934.
A copy of the contract that allowed the Regent to screen Moulin Rouge and The Stranger Left No Card.
A photograph of the Regent cinema, 1933.
This photo shows the interior of the Regent in 1986 after its transformation from a cinema into a bingo hall named The Essoldo.
An original poster for Madame Lupino’s dance classes held at the Regent.
External photograph of the building – main entrance.
If you have information on the history of this pub, then we’d like you to share it with us. Please e-mail all information to: firstname.lastname@example.org