Until 1999, the building was the Coliseum cinema, opening in December 1926. The name COLISEUM is in capital letters above the front entrance and high up on the side wall. The architect was C Franklin Murphy. In the early 1930s, few packed them in like Dr Walford Brodie, known as ‘The Electrical Wizard of the North’. The smartly dressed Brodie, with his waxed handle-bar moustache, was once a very big name in show business. The Scots-born entertainer was famous for ‘shocking’ magic tricks using electricity and even an electric chair.