This pub comprises two former ‘listed’ barns. The larger barn originally stood next to Water End House, by a ford over the River Lea, in the Parish of Sandridge. Water End House and Barn were probably built around 1610, by Sir John Jennings. In 1938, Water End Barn was dismantled and re-erected in the middle of St Albans, serving as Waterend Barn Restaurant. A few years later, it was enlarged by a smaller barn from Little Hormead.