Wetherspoons is on the upper level of ‘Victoria Island’ – self-contained shops on the station’s ‘Brighton side’. The station was opened in 1860 by the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway. Designed by Robert Jacomb-Hood, it stood alongside the new Grosvenor Hotel (now Thistle Victoria). In 1862, the London, Chatham and Dover Railway (later South Eastern and Chatham Railway) opened its terminus alongside, on the station’s ‘Kent side’, using broad-gauge, rather than standard, tracks.
Find out More >