This pub is the former home of the Macclesfield Useful Knowledge Society (UKS), established in the early 19th century. The UKS moved into the 18th-century building on Park Green, originally built as St Michael’s vicarage. The original aim of the UKS was to teach the three Rs. The UKS’s art class became the School of Design, while its science classes led to the founding of the Technical School. Both the former vicarage (home of the UKS) and the Technical School alongside, built in 1900, form the site of this Wetherspoon pub.
Find out More >