Hill’s Hall once boasted a roller-skating rink and in 1910 became the town’s first cinema, known as Albany Ward’s Picture Palace and Skating Rink. In 1913, this was renamed Albany Ward’s Electric Palace of Varieties. Around December 1914, Albany Ward was the operator of the largest cinema circuit in England. He died in 1956. By then, the former Hill’s Hall had been Fear Hill’s department store for more than 30 years. It later became Dingles and is now partly occupied by a ladies’ fashion shop.