According to a report in the Wiltshire Times, the Bear shut ‘without warning’ in early March 2011. The pub is a long-time feature of Bath Road and is believed to date from the second half of the 18th century. A former coaching inn, it was also a posting house until the late 19th century. In the Post Office Directory of 1855, the premises are listed as the ‘Bear Inn’, although, in later directories, it is referred to as the ‘Bear Hotel’.
Find out More >