Built in 1958, Alymer House takes its name from the Aylmer family of Moor Hall, once Harlow’s most important residence. The earliest recorded member of the family was William Aylmer, who (in 1383) had an equal share in Moor Hall. A later family member, Anthony Aylmer, was vicar of Harlow during 1510–1518. By the 17th century, Moor Hall had become a large country house and was Harlow’s leading residence. At the end of the 18th century, the estate was extended and the house rebuilt. Nothing now remains of this grand, classical-style building.