This is named after the upper and lower lighthouses, known as the Hoylake Lights, built in the 1760s. Only one of the two lights still stands. In 1871, the site of this pub was still an open field. By 1897, it was home to a draper’s and a chandlery. Nine years later, they had made way for a dyer’s, a cleaner’s and a ‘complete funeral furnisher’. The Co-operative Society was the last to occupy these premises, before transformation into Hoylake Lights.