According to an 1802 advertisement in the Hampshire Chronicle, these JDW premises stand on the site of ‘the Bolton Arms Inn, late the Maidenhead Inn’. Before it was used as a bank, this was an ancient hostelry called the Maidenhead Inn. It was at this inn, in 1686, that Sir Henry St George, second King of Arms, with his pursuivants and attendants, held his court to register the pedigrees of local gentry. This was the last ‘Heraldic Visitation’ held by the officials of the College of Arms.
Find out More >