This pub is the former Savoy cinema. Built in the mid 1930s, in the fashionable Art Deco style, this super-cinema seated almost 2,000. The first-ever recorded film shown in Swindon was the St Louis Animated Picture Show, at the Faringdon Road swimming baths in 1907. Swindon got its first cinema three years later. The County Electric opened in Regent Street. It was followed (in 1912) by the Arcadia, also in Regent Street, and the following year by the Picture House. Nearly 25 years later, The Savoy cinema opened in Regent Street.