This pub is the former Coliseum cinema which opened in 1913 and screened its last film in the 1990s. The first permanent film show in Abergavenny was around 1912, when a Victorian corrugated-iron hall was used as the Picture Palace. The following year, the Abergavenny Coliseum Company acquired land in Lion Street and The Coliseum opened on 3 November 1913. In mid 1989, the cinema’s stalls were converted to shops, with a cinema above. By 1998, The Coliseum had become a bingo hall, with various shop units, and is now this Wetherspoon pub.