This historic inn is first recorded in 1757 in the will of a butcher named Samuel Adams. It was later run by his son, also a butcher, and stayed with the Adams family until 1838. Originally, it occupied just 1 Market Street. In 1841, no.3 was occupied by a saddler, then a plumber, ironmonger and bootmaker. During the 1930s, it was a wool shop and became part of the pub only in the late 20th century.