In 1693, these premises were called The Green Dragon. By 1783, the inn had become The Swan, more formally The Swan With Two Necks. The name derives from the centuries-old tradition of marking birds’ beaks with nicks (or necks) to denote ownership. The early 19th-century extension at the rear of the premises was a grocery and provision store. It was later owned by the Leek and Moorlands Industrial Provident Society.