Closed and boarded up, the former Queen’s Hotel is an unmissable building, described as ‘a significant trouble spot’ in the Maltby Master Plan (drafted in 2007). The hotel was part of a chain built by John Smith’s Brewery for use by Doncaster race-goers. It opened in 1923, on an undeveloped site, away from the centre of the village, not long after the Maltby Colliery Disaster. It was a difficult time for the first licensees, the Farnsworths, and OV Pike took over in 1925. Pike was the landlord for 21 years, until his death in January 1947.