This was an existing pub of the same name, built in the 1950s, in a suburb of Ellesmere Port. The agricultural character of much of the area is represented in the borough coat of arms by a sickle. In fact, where this pub stands seems to have been farmland, until the development of council and private housing here in the post-war years. Planning permission was granted in 1955 and the pub was built soon after. The name of the proposed pub was not recorded on the application.