This pub’s name commemorates the work of the astronomer Richard Carrington, who built an observatory at Redhill. He came to Redhill in 1852 and purchased the hillock known as Furze Hill. During the following year, he built a large house with an observatory on top and called it Dome House. His talent as an observer of the stars had been recognised the previous year, when made a member of the Royal Astronomical Society. He began his observations of sunspots, with daylight hours devoted to the sun and the night time observing the stars.