In 1821, the upper storey of 18 Bondgate was used as a place of worship by the newly formed Society of Independents, now the United Reformed Church. In 1825, the whole building became the Bowling Green Inn. The inn’s earliest recorded licensees are Hannah Cawood in 1829 and Joseph Mallinson in 1834. Much more recently, Trevor and Judith Wallis ended their time at the Bowling Green, auctioning their numerous collectables previously on display inside the pub. The collection included a full-size crocodile and other stuffed animals, clocks, musical instruments and propellers.