This has been a local landmark since 1820. However, for the first 80 years, it was The Duke of Wellington Inn, named after Arthur Wellesley, who was created Duke of Wellington in 1814, for his part in defeating the forces of Napoleon Bonaparte (culminating in the Battle of Waterloo). This was a coaching inn and posting house, rebuilt in 1893. By the early 1900s, it was known simply as the Wellington Hotel, headquarters of the West Somerset Polo Club and convenient for staghound meetings.
Find out More >