In the early 19th century, the Master of Bideford Grammar School lived in a house roughly on this site. In 1871, it was replaced by ‘Public Rooms’ which became the Palace Cinema. The cinema closed in 1962, replaced by a supermarket which was later used as a furnishing store. The premises are now named after the heroine of Westward Ho! This famous historical novel is set in Bideford, where it was written by Charles Kingsley in 1854.