This grade II listed building dates from the late 18th century, but was remodelled in the mid 19th century. In the 20th century, the eastern end was demolished as part of road-widening. This historic inn was originally called the George and Star. Its landlords can be identified as far back as 1830. By 1880, it was known as the George Inn and later as The George Hotel.