This building stands on the site of three private residences, similar to the adjacent properties built in the early 19th century. This short row was called Albion Place, now the street name for what was the west end of Borough Road. Doctor Henry Renney (‘Public Vaccinator’ for Sunderland) was living at Albion Place in 1890. Ten years later, his thoughts on public vaccination were published in the British Medical Journal. The doctor advocated the use of the Cooper Rose vaccinator which he carried with ‘half an ounce of antiseptic, more than enough for nine arms’.
Find out More >