Private John Fielding died in Cwmbran in 1932. His headstone, in St Michael’s Churchyard, Llantarnam, was erected by his former regiment. His headstone records that, as Private John Williams, he received the Victoria Cross, at the defence of Rorke’s Drift, during the Zulu War, on 22-23 January 1879. This heroic episode was immortalised in the 1961 film, Zulu, starring Stanley Baker and Michael Caine.
Photographs of John Fielding VC.
Prints and text about John Fielding.
The text reads: The pub takes its name from John Fielding VC who was buried in St Michael’s Churchyard Llatarnam, in 1932.
His headstone, erected by his former regiment, records that “as private John Williams he won the Victoria Cross at the defence of Rorkes Drift, during the Zulu War, on 22/23 January 1879”.
Private Fielding (Williams) helped to defend the hospital against heavy odds until his ammunition ran out. He then held the enemy back at bayonet point, enabling two other soldiers to rescue eight patients.
The heroic episode has been immortalised in the film Zulu, starring Stanley Baker and Michael Caine.
Top left, John Fielding, after receiving his VC, right, the Old Soldier, Left: The Battle of Rorkes Drift.
Prints and text about Welsh national heroes.
The text reads: This pub is situated at the junction of Caradoc Road, which marks the northern boundary of the town centre, and Glyndwr Road. Caradoc Road recalls the ancient Welsh king, said to be the son of Bran.
Glyndwr Road commemorates Owain Glyndwr, the last Welsh-born Prince of Wales. Born around 1350, he led the rebellion against the English kings focusing on South Wales, where he captured several castles. Glyndwr died in around 1416, and is now widely regarded as a national hero.
Top: left, Glyndwr’s Prison House at Llansantffraid, right, Owen’s Council House, Dolgelly
Above: left, Glyndrwr’s Parliament House, Machynlleth, right, Monningston Church, Glyndwr’s reputed burial place
Left: Statue of Owain Glyndwr, City Hall Cardiff.
Prints and text about the history of Cwmbran.
The text reads: In 1949 around 3,000 acres of land in south east Wales, halfway between Newport and Pontypool, were designated as the site of the only “New Town” to be established in Wales at that time the area had a population of 12,000 most of whom lived in a village called Cwmbran.
The first of the residential neighbourhoods was soon under construction, although the town centre did not get underway until 1959. The Town Plan of that year records that the site of this building was designated as a public house. A provisional license was granted for “the premises know by the sign of the Moonraker” in April 1963. Closed in 2003, the premises have been rejuvenated as the John Fielding Freehouse.
Top: left, The Square, Cwmbran, right, House at Ty Coch
Above: left, Commercial Street, right, Abbey Road and the Canal
Left: Mountain Air Road, 1931.
If you have information on the history of this pub, then we’d like you to share it with us. Please e-mail all information to: email@example.com