Built by the Great Western Railway, in 1924, the old station (Yr Hen Orsaf) is now this Wetherspoon pub.
Prints and text about the history of Aberystwyth.
The text reads: Aberystwyth grew up as a fortified town around the castle, built in 1277, on the orders of King Edward I. the fortress was known as Llanbadarn Castle, and the town as Llanbadarn Gaerog.
The castle was captured by Owain Glyndwr in 1404, but retaken by English forces four years later. The castle was blown up during the Civil War in the mid 17th century. Preservation of the castle remains began in the 1800s.
Above left: Owain Glyndwr.
Prints and text about education in Aberystwyth.
The text reads: Aberystwyth’s University College of Wales began with 26 students in the former Castle Hotel on the sea front. The opening day in October 1872 was declared a public holiday for the town.
The project, begun in 1854 under the leadership of Hugh Owen, was largely funded by “pennies from the people”. The first government money arrived ten years after the college opened. However, official status as the ‘College for North Wales’ went to Bangor.
Parity was later restored, and in 1896 celebrations accompanied the installation of the Prince of Wales (the future King Edward VII) as chancellor. Some 30,000 people were present to witness the ceremony, which took place in Queen’s Square.
As the college expanded, other buildings were taken over until 1929, when 87 acres at Penglais were donated by Joseph Davies Bryan, who was a former student.
At Gogyddan, near the college’s main site, stands the National Library of Wales building. Its foundation stone was laid in 1911 amidst great ceremony by another royal visitor, the new King George V.
Amongst the library’s treasurers are many ancient Welsh manuscripts, including one of the Black Book of Carmarthen. Dating from the late 1100s, it is the oldest known manuscript in the Welsh language.
Prints and text about the pier and Marine Terrace.
The text reads: The influx of lords and ladies to the town led to the building of hotels, guest houses and Marine Terrace. The railways later brought visitors to enjoy such attractions as the 800 feet long pier, built in 1865, and the 2,000 seat pavilion added at its shore end.
Top: Marine Terrace, c1820
Above: Marine Terrace in 1940
Right: The college and pier, 1877.
A painting of Aberystwyth Station, in 1994.
The original platform signage can still be found outside the pub today.
The pub overlooks a part of the station still in use.
A National Railway Heritage Award.
External photograph of the building – main entrance.
If you have information on the history of this pub, then we’d like you to share it with us. Please e-mail all information to: firstname.lastname@example.org