Situated at the east end of Main Street, this imposing four-storey building has been a local landmark for more than 80 years. It was built in 1929 as the Savoy Cinema, later becoming a bingo hall and renamed the Vogue, probably in the early 1960s. In recent years, it reverted to its original name. Its classical façade and Corinthian columns along the sides of the auditorium are typical of the Glasgow-born architect John Fairweather, best known for designing The Playhouse, in nearby Glasgow (two years before the Savoy).
A photograph and text about John Fairweather.
The text reads: John Fairweather was born in Glasgow on 5 February 1867. He attended the College of Science and Arts Glasgow in 1881 and was articled to James Milne Monro from 1882 until 1887, remaining as chief assistant thereafter and studying at Glasgow School of Art and the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College.
In 1913 Fairweather joined the practise of George Green and in 1922-23 he visited the USA to study theatre and cinema design in which he had specialised since becoming architect to Green.
Fairweather designed the Savoy Cinema on Cambuslang Main Street, which was built in 1929, having been responsible for designing the two largest cinemas built in Britain, the Green’s playhouses in Dundee and Glasgow.
Photographs and text about John Fairweather.
The text reads: John Fairweather’s influences were more neo-classical than Art Deco, and his cinema interiors, usually had giant columns along the sidewalls, the Cambuslang Savoy was great example of his much admired craftsmanship.
An original projector which was used in the Savoy cinema.
The text reads: The Savoy opened in 1929. The early projection equipment installed lasted up to 1940.
The new Weststar 35mm projectors installed in 1940 continued to show pictures until the late 1960s.
When the theatre changed over to bingo, the Weststar 35mm projector now on display in the foyer balcony remained a permanent reminder of the history of the Savoy Cinema.
Internal photographs of the pub, showing some of the original cinema design features and some newly inspired.
External photograph of the building – main entrance.
If you have information on the history of this pub, then we’d like you to share it with us. Please e-mail all information to: email@example.com