This pub takes its name from the Tullow Gate, one of the four town gates of the old walls around Carlow. In 1361, ‘improvements’ to the walls were carried out at a cost of £500. However, in 1577, it was recorded that the walls of Carlow were ‘in ruins and down in many places’.
A photograph of the Gordon Bennett Cup.
In July 1093, the Gordon Bennett cup ran through Carlow. The editor of the Dublin Motor News, Richard J Mecredy, suggested an area in County Kildare, and letters were sent to 102 Irish MPs, 90 Irish peers, 300 newspapers, 34 chairmen of county and local councils, 34 county secretaries, 26 mayors, 41 railway companies, 460 hoteliers and 13 PPs, as well as the Bishop of Kildare and Leighlin, Patrick Foley, who pronounced himself in favour.
A painting and text about this building and the use of snuff.
The text reads: In the 1840s, this building was occupied by a ‘trimmings and fancy warehouse’, selling buckles, buttons, snuff boxes and other ‘fancy goods’. In this reproduction 19th century painting, a man takes snuff from a box.
Snuff is a smokeless tobacco made from ground or pulverised tobacco leaves.
A collection of antique buckles.
In the 1840s the premises now occupied by The Tullow Gate were owned by Marian Turner, whose Trimmings and Fancy Warehouse would have sold buckles similar to these.
A photograph of workmen laying the half-inch cable along the streets of Carlow in 1891.
A photograph of workmen laying cable in Carlow in 1891.
A photograph and text about Milford Mill.
The text reads: Carlow was the first provincial town in Ireland to have public lighting, generated by a flour mill in the village of Milford, owned by Major Alexander. The Carlow system, commissioned in 1889, was opening in 1891. Mr Tomlinson, the company engineer in charge of the works, switched on the Carlow town street lighting on 13 July 1891.
A copy of an invitation to the opening of the electric lighting of the town of Carlow.
A photograph of a commemorative plaque at Milford Mill.
This plaque was erected to celebrate 100 years electricity supply to Carlow. Taken by local and award winning landscape photographer Keith Dowling, it captures the unseen beauty of the local area, passed by everyday.
A modern print by Derry Dillon, entitled Milford Mill 1891.
A modern print by Derry Dillon, entitled Brownshill Dolmen in Blue.
External photograph of the building – main entrance.
If you have information on the history of this pub, then we’d like you to share it with us. Please e-mail all information to: firstname.lastname@example.org