This is the former G&Ts Stock Clearance Shop. However, the building is better known to Winton’s older residents as the long-standing Co-op, the original of which (on this site) was a branch of the Parkstone and Heatherlands Society. Following a public meeting attended by 100 people, in May 1903, the society’s new store opened for business the following September. Molesworth House, as the store was then called, was replaced by a high, domed building, which became a familiar landmark. The dome was later removed and the building refaced.
A print and text about kings and earls from the area.
The text reads: Until the turn of the 18th century, what is now Bournemouth (and Winton) was an extensive area of wild heathland. Originally it was the royal estate of Edward the Confessor, and later part of the Liberty of Westover.
Later still, the Earl of Malmesbury was one of the leading landowners in what was to become one of the great diplomats of the 18th century. Harris was rewarded with an earldom.
His grandson, the third Early of Malmesbury, served as foreign secretary and Lord Privy Seal (in the 1850s). The fifth earl gifted the land for Winton Recreation Ground, which covered 16 acres and was officially opened on 27 September 1906.
Above: James Harris, 1st Earl of Malmesbury.
An illustration and text about King Crimson.
The text reads: Two of Winton’s sons, Michael and Peter Giles, were founder members of the progressive rock band King Crimson. In the early 60s both played in the local band Trendsetters Ltd, until they formed their own group with Wimborne’s Robert Fripp. When Peter Giles left in 1968 another local musician stepped in – Greg Lake, later one third of Emerson Lake and Palmer. King Crimson became a major force in progressive rock in the late sixties and seventies, with a worldwide reputation. In the Court of the Crimson King was one of the most significant LPs of its day. The band has a high place in the roll call of innovative rock music, and some of its members, including the Giles brothers, re-informed as 21st Century Schizoid in 2002.
An illustration of Robert Owen, whose ideas lay behind the Co-operative movement.
A photograph of the Rochdale Pioneers and the first Co-operative store, Parkston.
The Rochdale Pioneers were the original members of the first Co-operative Society founded in 1844.
Photographs of the original members of the Co-operative Wholesale Society.
A photograph of the Parkstone and Bournemouth Co-op on opening day, 10 July 1912.
A photograph and text about Freddie Mills.
The text reads: He was born in Parkstone, the world light heavyweight champion from 1948 to 1950 and trained at the old Gospel Hall in Winton.
A map and photograph of Winton in 1903 and 1900.
External photograph of the building – main entrance.
If you have information on the history of this pub, then we’d like you to share it with us. Please e-mail all information to: firstname.lastname@example.org