This pub was previously a department store owned by the Barrow Co-operative Society. The original ‘Co-op’ premises on this site were built in 1889, on land bought from the Furness Railway (for £2,500). Situated at the corner of Dalton Road and High Street, this pub has been occupied by the Co-op since 1889. The shop was extended in 1902, and in more recent years was converted into an open-plan department store.
Photographs and text about Furness Railway.
The text reads: Coppernob, so named because of its distinctive copper firebox cover, was one of the Furness Railway’s original four locomotives built by Bury, Curtis and Kennedy of Liverpool. Together with her sister No.4, pictured here, she was brought by sea to Barrow for the opening of the railway in 1846.
After more than fifty years’ service, No.3 was withdrawn in 1899 and displayed at Barrow Station from 1900 until 1941 when the station was wrecked by German bombs. Moved for safekeeping to Horwich works, Coppernob was later displayed in the Museum of British Transport at Clapham in London.
1975 saw the locomotive move to York, her present home, for the formation of The National Railway Museum. In 1996 she returned for a brief few weeks to Furness to take part in the celebrations to mark the 150th anniversary of the Furness Railway. A homecoming witnessed by thousands. Here she is seen at Haverthwaite Station.
A collection of posters advertising Furness Railway.
A collection of photographs showing Furness Abbey Hotel.
An illustration and text about a local cantilever crane.
The text reads: The port of Barrow is formed by several docks. It is one of north west England’s most important ports, and has constructed over 800 vessels in its history. These include warships, aircraft carriers, submarines, cruise liners and ferries. The port of Barrow is the only deep water port between the Mersey and the Clyde.
A photograph of the launch of HMS Cumberland, 1926.
A copy of a newspaper article written about the launch of the Spyros Niarchos.
A copy of a newspaper article featuring the world’s biggest tanker.
A date above the entrance to the pub shows what year the building was constructed – 1882.
External photograph of the building – main entrance.
If you have information on the history of this pub, then we’d like you to share it with us. Please e-mail all information to: firstname.lastname@example.org