Situated on the corner of London Road South and Queensway, this was built in c1964. The pub originally included a restaurant and was later extended. In 2007, it was renamed King’s bar and lounge, but it now has its original name. The Kingfisher was part of the Queensway estate which was built on farmland during 1956–59. The road names on the Queensway estate all have royal connections.
A plaque documenting the history of The Kingfisher.
The plaque reads: These licensed premises were built to serve the Queensway estate, comprising 168 new homes and a parade of shops, built on farmland, between 1956 and 1959. The Kingfisher opened soon after, in the early 1960’s, and included a restaurant. The public house was later extended and in 2007 was renamed King’s Bar and Lounge. It now has its original name.
These premises were refurnished by JD Wetherspoon in December 2012.
A collection of photographs of an historic Poynton.
Park Lodge, Poynton.
Photographs and information about Poynton are thanks to the Anson Engine Museum.
A painting entitled Poynton Community Centre, by local artist Rob Wilson.
Rob Wilson is one of the region’s rising artistic stars. His mixed media painting incorporate paint, print, texture and stitching.
A painting entitled St George, Poynton Parish Church, by local artist Rob Wilson.
A collection of photographs, antiques and souvenirs - all relating to Poynton's history.
The items include: railway tickets, a coal miner box and a book entitled The Spoils of Poynton by Henry James.
A plaque stating the design methodology of The Kingfisher.
The plaque reads: The building’s history focuses on the local surroundings – its railway, and heritage of its coal mines, brickworks and Pickford’s haulage and removals company.
The grand entrance lobby has a high level brickwork feature and contrasting modern light fitting, expressing the organic progression of the village. The village is moving and changing with the times.
The idea of the kingfisher and form of a flowing river give interesting shapes to the floor and ceiling that undulate and wow. The atmospheric lighting serves to highlight these soft rhythmic shapes.
The traditional village diamond motif can be found in many forms on local buildings and walls and is replicated throughout the pub’s interior.
Rooms are formed with screens; used to create intimate spaces without obscuring views or light.
A new furnace-like industrial fireplace provides a focal point to the far end wall. Another feature is the visible working cellar and bottled spirits display, accentuating the pubs values as a community restaurant and bar.
The refurbished roof light and summer doors give natural light to the rear trading area, creating an indoor courtyard feel; bringing the garden inside. The beer garden itself hosts a canopy emulating a horse-drawn covered wagon. This is based on Pickford’s famous ‘flying coach’ that ferried people to London.
The Kingfisher is a modern and enthusiastic scheme that echoes Poynton’s historic roots and promote community spirit.
These premises were designed by Architect CT, in collaboration with JD Wetherspoon, in November 2012.
External photograph of the building – main entrance.
If you have information on the history of this pub, then we’d like you to share it with us. Please e-mail all information to: firstname.lastname@example.org