Pub history
The William Chambers
Brown Square was swept away when, in 1871, Chambers Street was laid out, replacing a narrow lane. It was named after Lord Provost William Chambers, who was the driving force behind the much-needed improvement of the run-down Old Town. William was also a successful printer and publisher. An imposing statue of him, dressed in a provost’s robes and chain of office, can be seen a few steps away.


