Pub history
The Sawyer’s Arms
This public house is located in the suburb of St Thomas, not far from the city centre. Built in 1966, this detached building occupies a large plot on the corner of Cowick Street and Prospect Place, apparently decorated internally ‘with circular saws and saw-teeth motifs’. This replaced an earlier public house called Sawyer’s Arms, first recorded in White’s Devon Directory of 1850, run by John Gibbs.


