Pub history
The Grand Electric Hall
The first of the two cinemas on this site was the Arcadia Grand Electric Hall. The main entrance was also at the west end of the building, with the letters ARCADIA arranged in a semicircle around the clock at the top of the building and GRAND ELECTRIC HALL across the façade. A photograph from 1914 shows the old cinema in far less busy times. A photograph dated c1910 shows the Victorian Market Hall which stood on the site of the ‘Grand Electric’.


