Pub history
The Green Ginger
Slade and Sons had premises in Abbey Place for many years. Established in 1837, the firm was one of Torquay’s leading grocers. An advert in the Torquay and Tor Directory of 1846 announced to ‘The Nobility, Gentry and Public’ that Stiven’s & Co had appointed ‘Mr JJ Slade as sole agent for their GREEN GINGER WINE… a most delicious, safe and cooling beverage in spring water, superior to any mixture yet introduced’.


