Pub history
The George Inn
The George public house has stood for more than 200 years where High Street bends around Market Square. The three-storey building was grade II listed in 1978. It is described in the listing text as ‘c1810 with later alterations’ and a ‘late C19 inn front’. It was referred to in the local trade directory of 1822 as the ‘George Inn’. The ‘George Inn’ was mentioned the same year in the Law Advertiser. The inn was later known as the George Hotel for many years and, more recently, as The George.


