Pub history
The Half Moon Inn
The main Stockton road was originally a toll road established in the late 18th century. In the early 19th century, it was used by horse-drawn stage coaches. The village had eight water pumps and five public houses (dating from at least the 1820s). The Salutation and the Smith’s Arms (thought to be the oldest) are still trading. The Half Moon Inn lost its licence in 1908. The old inn then became a popular fish shop for years and was eventually demolished.


