The long history of these premises dates from 1728, when John and Tamar Fielden opened a hostelry here called the New Inn. It was later renamed The White Hart. In the early 1800s, a ‘Court of Petty Sessions’ was established at the inn. The court was reached by a flight of steps on the outside of the building. In 1935, the old White Hart was replaced by the present mock Tudor-style building.