This pub bears the name of Birkenhead’s first MP, John Laird, who was also the town’s leading benefactor. Three years after his 1874 death, a statue was erected in his honour, in Hamilton Square. By the 19th century, wealthy Liverpool merchants built fine residences in the rural setting of Birkenhead. But the take-off point for the town’s rapid growth dates from the efforts of the Laird family. John Laird was managing partner of the family ship-building firm until 1861.