Glasgow Airport was originally an airfield used by 602 (City of Glasgow) Squadron of the Auxiliary Air Force. The squadron was short of space at nearby Renfrew Aerodrome and moved here in 1933. In 1943, the airfield was handed over to the Royal Navy. Renamed HMS Sanderling, it served as a maintenance and training station, until it was closed in the early 1960s. The name of the naval base lives on in this bar.